The Head Coach oversees the Barracudas Water Polo Club’s coaching program and acts as a mentor to all volunteer coaches.
The Head Coach is responsible to the President, Management Committee and the membership
of the Club. He/she reports directly to the Development Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversees the Barracudas Water Polo coaching program;
- Oversees the allocation of coaches for all junior and senior teams;
- Ensures there is an active awareness of the Coaches Code of Conduct amongst the Club Coaches;
- Facilitates/participates at a Coaches Development Day at the beginning of the season;
- Mentors all coach referees and officials development throughout the season;
- Signs off on mentoring hours for new coaches seeking accreditation;
- Problem solves coaching issues;
- Ratifies State and National team coaches;
- Supports the selection of State and National team members;
- Will attend a training session when requested by the Management Committee;
- Review the progress of teams mid-season and then again at the end of the season and give recommendations to the Management Committee;
- Work closely with the Club Development Manager to ensure coaching strategies are in alignment with Club strategic objectives.
Knowledge and Skills Required
Ideally the Club Head Coach will:
- Have vast experience in coaching and is well respected in the Club;
- Understand the culture and values of the Barracudas Water Polo Club;
- Have strong leadership skills with an ability to give constructive feedback;
- A current coaching qualification at least of Level 1, but desirable to have level 2;
- Have a current Blue Card or ability to obtain one;
- Can communicate effectively and respectfully.
Estimated Time Commitment Required & Period of Appointment
The estimated time commitment required as Club Head Coach can vary throughout the season, with a minimum time of 2 hours per month and maximum 2 hours per week where required.
Resources and Templates
- Water polo basic training reference material > Training Plans > Dropbox
- Come’n Try lesson Plans > Training Plans > Dropbox