The Treasurer is the chief financial manager for the Barracudas Water Polo Club.
The Treasurer is directly responsible to the President of Barracudas Water Polo Club and it’s members and is part of the Management Committee.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Treasurer should:
- Prepare a budget and monitor it carefully;
- Ensure the club’s books are up-to-date;
- Keep a proper record of all payments and monies received;
- Make sure financial reports are available and understood at all committee meetings;
- Show evidence that money received is banked and documentation provided for all money paid out;
- Ensure all taxation commitments are met by the Club and manage the Quarterly reporting of Business Activities Statements;
- May outsource book-keeping duties to external bookkeeping and manage the process;
- Ensure that information for an audit is prepared each year;
- Arrange the audit;
- Prepare and deliver Treasurer’s Report at regular meetings and when required;
- Produce an Annual Financial Report;
- Send out accounts and follow up payments;
- Keep account of the assets held by the Club, eg. the Club share portfolio;
- Authorise and pay bills;
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for the Club’s members and it’s volunteers.
Knowledge and Skills Required
Ideally the Treasurer is someone who is:
- Well organised;
- Able to allocate regular time periods to maintain the books;
- Able to keep good records;
- Able to work in a logical orderly manner;
- Aware of information needed to be kept for the annual audit.
Estimated Time Commitment Required & Period of Appointment
The estimated time commitment required fluctuates, from up to 10 hours per week in September / October to 2 – 4 hours per week during the rest of the year. There is a paid bookkeeper who assists greatly with this role.
Tools and Resources